Sunday, November 11, 2007

It Ain't Easy Being Green

Kermie!
Yes, Kermit the Frog. Dear ol' Kermie.
Who knew that frogs were such interesting little critters?
Last Spring I created a lesson plan and (in retrospect a rather rudimentary) Powerpoint presentation on frogs to teach in my Cooperating Teacher's 2nd grade class at Matthew Whaley Elementary School. It was a fun lesson and went well. The students enjoyed it and learned quite a bit . . . as did I.

I knew that I wanted to return to it, tweak it, and include it in my E-folio for use in my job search. Well, that hour came today when I took the opportunity to polish it for submission in my Educational Technology class and eventual inclusion in the E-foilio. I say that the "hour" came today, but that should really read hours . . . day . . . It was a full day of completely redoing the lesson, reformatting it and building the Powerpoint from the ground up. I'm sure that it will be undergoing further revision, but for now I'm rather pleased with it.
Now I'm tired, but it's a satisfying kind of tired. The kind of tired in which I can pour a glass of wine, curl up with my girls and a good movie, dog at my feet and dear husband by my side.
Oh, no, wait, I still have several hours' worth of homework to finish first. Ah well, a girl can dream.

In any case, here it is!
Lesson Plan: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc4m2pdw_075tx7t
Powerpoint: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc4m2pdw_38dpjwwn
Life cycle cards: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc4m2pdw_35j6ng8

P.S. Oh heartbreak! I discovered now that when I uploaded my Powerpoint to Google documents, the links went haywire. Well, I'll have to leave it for now and mess with it later. I still have 2 lesson plans and a conference summary to write, a test to study for, and I must get home to my family! Suffice to say that when one clicks on the picture of a frog, one is taken to a sound file of the frog's vocalization; when one clicks on the name of the frog, one is taken to a website with information about the frog. There is also a link to a video of poison dart frogs (thank you, National Geographic!)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You are so dedicated! I can't wait for our children to enjoy that in the springtime. We will have to devote several lessons to this to enjoy and seep in all of that interesting knowledge. The kids will be "ribbiting" with joy!

The Queen Bee said...

Thanks, Wendy! Of course, I've already updated it since posting it :) There's always room for improvement, right?
I've also developed a math lesson plan to teach at the same time, in which the children, using the fact cards the develop during their investigations about frogs, make up as many math problems as they can come up with! For example, if a 2cm red-eyed tree frog can jump 10 times its length, how far can it jump? Or, How much bigger is this type of frog than that? How much bigger is a tadpole than an egg, a froglet than a tadpole, a frog than the froglet? I think the kids would enjoy this, they can graph some of their findings and we can add it to the "Fabulous Frogs" book they develop!
Charlotte